Sailfish Feeding Habits
This is a summary of research reporting the stomach contents of Sailfish. The Sailfish is a warm water inhabitant and seems to be very opportunistic in its feeding habits. From big water prey to reef and shallow water ocean creatures, the Sailfish seems to adapt to whatever is available wherever it is found.
Common themes are:
- Sailfish thrive in equatorial zones.
- Sailfish prefer 77-85 F water temperatures.
- Sailfish seem to prefer the smaller juvenile stages of the same prey larger Billfish consume.
- Sailfish seem to eat a lot of Beltfish and Needlefish when available.
- A higher percentage of Sailfish were found with empty stomachs than other pelagic species studied.
- Apparently Sailfish use their sail to wall off prey and their bill stun them.